Through our outreach, we’ve learned quite about about what homeless people in Phoenix need on a daily basis, and some of the more popular items may come as a surprise. Here’s a quick list of must have items if you’re going to pack a backpack for a homeless person. But, you can donate whatever you want! Anything you think will help make somebody’s life on the street a little easier!
Most Important Items For Each Backpack
If you’re backpack contains only these 4 items below, it’s ready to go!
- A Pair Of Socks (preferably not ankle socks or dress socks)
- A Wash Cloth, Hand Towel, and or Packet of Wet Wipes
- A Gatorade, Powerade, Or Other Sports Drink
- Non-Perishable Food Items (think granola bars, power bars, pre-packaged meals to go, etc)
Ideas For Additional Items
Every backpack is a chance to make a person’s day, so you can donate whatever YOUR heart desires to help out! Some additional ideas are below:
- Warm Hat
- Travel Sized Toiletries (tooth paste, toothbrushes, soap, Q-tips, etc)
- Bus Passes
- Candy / Soda
- Gift Certificates for Food (of any kind!)
Here’s an awesome video from a couple in Tacoma, Washington about how they create backpacks for under $20!